Date for your Diary: Online Launch of FLAC’s new dedicated Traveller Legal Service
22 July 2020
FLAC would like to invite you to register for the official online launch of our new dedicated Traveller Legal Service on Monday July 27 2020, from 12.30pm–1.30pm.
The service is supported by The Community Foundation for Ireland and in cooperation with a Steering Group made up of representation from the national Traveller organisations
Our Zoom webinar will provide information on the background to this new initiative and information as to the objectives of the service. We will also broadcast the launch on Facebook Live.
“The Traveller community in Ireland suffers enormous marginalisation and discrimination. There is significant unmet legal need which this new service will begin to address in a strategic way”
- Christopher McCann, FLAC Traveller Legal Service solicitor
Chaired by FLAC Chief Executive Eilis Barry, the online event will hear from;
- Maria Joyce - National Traveller Women's Forum
- Christopher McCann - FLAC Solicitor
- Denise Charlton - CEO of the Community Foundation of Ireland
- Colette Kelleher – Independent Advisor & Senator 2016-2020
- Oein DeBhairduin – Performance piece to close
- FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centres) is a human rights organisation which exists to promote equal access to justice for all. FLAC offers basic legal information through its telephone information line (1890 350 250).
FLAC runs a legal clinic for the Roma community and takes on a small number of cases in the public interest. FLAC engages in policy and law reform in areas of law that most impact on vulnerable and disadvantaged groups and individuals.
Through the Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA), FLAC operates a Pro Bono Referral Scheme and engages the legal community and civil society in using the law to advance social change.
- The service is kindly supported by The Community Foundation of Ireland.
- The Traveller Steering Group is made up of FLAC, ITM – Irish Traveller Movement, Pavee Point, National Traveller Women’s Forum, National Traveller MABS, Minceirs Whiden, Exchange House Ireland and Involve.