Specialist Solicitor for the Traveller Community
FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centres) is an independent legal and human rights organisation which exists to promote equal access to justice. Our vision is of a society where everyone can access fair and accountable mechanisms to assert and vindicate their rights.
FLAC is seeking to recruit a full-time solicitor reporting to the Managing Solicitor, to provide a specialised legal service to the Traveller Community and to develop the knowledge and expertise of Traveller organisations in advocating on behalf of Travellers that they work with. This position is funded by the Community Foundation for Ireland for three years. The project is supported by a steering group, whose membership is drawn from a number of Traveller organisations that will provide guidance and support in delivering the projected outcomes of the project over the three year period.
The Solicitor will undertake the following duties:
- Provide advocacy and legal representation to the Traveller community in cases before relevant Courts and Tribunals that best advance the interests of that community in achieving equality and vindicating their human rights.
- Identify cases of strategic importance to the Traveller Community.
- Work to maximise the availability of legal services to members of the Traveller Community throughout the country and collaborate and support other projects advancing access to justice as relevant (for example ICC/CTWNs Traveller Equality and Justice project).
- Work with PILA to maximise the availability of legal services for Travellers.
- Provide training and information to local Traveller groups to help build capacity to identify and refer potential cases and areas of law relevant to the Traveller community including in relation to the Civil Legal Aid Act 1995.
- Build strategic relationships with members of the ILCN, the Legal Aid Board and other relevant bodies identified by the oversight steering committee.
- Contribute to policy development in relation to areas of law relevant to the Traveller community.
- Comment on legal issues of strategic importance to the Traveller community, including in the media as required.
- Work with other members of the legal team to maintain systems and contribute to the overall efficient running of the legal service within FLAC and the FLAC organisation in general.
- Collaborate with other members of staff in relation to advancing access to justice for Travellers within FLAC’s other areas of work.
Other General Duties
- Collaborate with other Law Centres and NGOs on relevant legal /rights issues.
- Undertake other duties connected to the work of the organisation as required.
- Contribute to the strategic development and review the overall performance and strategic development of FLAC as an organisation.
- Maintain accurate records of cases taken and outcomes achieved and other work undertaken.
- Provide periodic reports on work undertaken to the working group supporting the project.
- Document the outcomes from casework undertaken for wider dissemination.
- Complying with FLAC’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
Requirements for this position
- Hold appropriate professional legal qualification.
- At least 3 years post qualification experience in litigation at all levels.
- Compliance with Law Society regulations regarding professional conduct.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work flexibly with clients coming from diverse backgrounds.
- Proven ability to engage with key stakeholders.
- Proven organisational skills with good attention to detail.
- Good IT skills, proficiency in MS Office.
- Ability to meet targets and work to deadlines.
- Strong ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- High level of personal responsibility and integrity.
- Experience in housing law, administrative law generally, equality or human rights law and/or public interest law.
- Demonstrated interest in the principle of access to justice and social justice.
- Experience of using and maintaining a case management database.
To apply for this position please send CV and covering letter setting out how you meet the requirements for this position by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Managing Solicitor, FLAC, 85/86 Dorset Street Upper, Dublin 1 on or before Friday 4th October 2019 at 5pm. Informal inquiries can be directed to Sinead Lucey, Managing Solicitor. Tel (01) 8873600.
FLAC is an equal opportunities employer.
Please keep an eye on our social media platforms for news of any future opportunities.